About Cheek Augmentation
Sunken or hollow cheeks can make you appear older than you really are, which is a look nobody wants. At the San Diego Cosmetic Clinic, board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Steve Laverson performs surgical and nonsurgical cheek augmentation to create full facial contours and lift. Mid-face augmentation can be accomplished with the help of dermal fillers or surgically placed cheek implants. During your initial consultation, Dr. Laverson will discuss the pros and cons of both options in detail and recommend the technique that will best match your needs, concerns, and goals. Call our San Diego, CA office to schedule an appointment and find out how surgical or nonsurgical cheek augmentation can help you attain a more youthful appearance.
Cheek Augmentation Reviews
"Neck Liposuction, Chin Implant, Cheek Implants - San Diego, CA - After my 23rd birthday I started gaining weight but noticed that my face looked unproportionate to my body. I began to suffer from what I later referred to as “lack of facial characteristics” and a majorly disturbing double chin due to what I believe was my genetics. My face seemed just plain fat; I shied away from photos and couldn’t even look at myself in the mirror sometimes. I tried to lose weight and workout but whatever I did I couldn’t lose the face fat/chubby cheeks it looked like I always had a mouth full of air. Towards woman I became the "the shy" and "the quiet guy". I tried to work on my personality but just became "the funny" and "outgoing guy", anything to try to make up for my insecurity but most of the time I just became “the friend”. This went on for four years and destroyed myself esteem. After my surgery I felt no pain and was on pain medication for four days. I noticed immediate difference with the cheek and chin implants. My face was swollen from the lipo to the neck and I wore a neck garment to help with the healing. I had the neck garment on 24 hrs a day for the week I took off work. The second week I returned to work on light duty and wore the garment on and off during the day for three days. I looked like I had my wisdom teeth taken out no big deal and I wore the neck garment on during the night. After the third day the swelling was noticeably going down daily. I was no longer wearing the neck garment after the second week and shortly after Dr. Laverson took the stitches out. By the beginning of the third week I was already going out on the town with a bit of swelling noticeable only to me. I looked a lot better and my attitude reflected it. I still look like myself after my surgery, but better. I am extremely pleased with the results and feel conferrable with taking pictures, look better in sunglasses, and catch myself doing posses in the mirror like a teenage girl. I feel like the paper bag mask has been lifted off my face. I thank Dr. Laverson and his staff for changing my life."- N. / RealSelf / Jan 08, 2013
The best patients for surgical and nonsurgical cheek enhancement are men and women who:
- Desire a fuller mid-face appearance
- Have lost volume in their cheeks with age
- Have genetically hollow or flat cheeks
- Have lost a significant amount of weight, resulting in sunken cheeks
- Have an imbalance in their mid-face from a congenital defect, a physical condition, or an injury
- Have overall good health
Dermal fillers are a good choice for men and women who don't want to commit to the expense and time of surgery. Since dermal fillers create temporary results, these may also be used to help you get a clearer idea of the degree of lift and volume you'd like before committing to cheek implants. Surgical cheek augmentation with implants is a good choice for those who prefer longer-lasting results and are able to commit time to recovery after their surgery while dermal fillers are better for patients who would prefer a nonsurgical enhancement to be maintained or adjusted over time.
Before your procedure, Dr. Laverson will complete a thorough examination to create a treatment plan that best fits your unique facial structure and goals. In your consultation, you can decide on your preferred method: nonsurgical dermal fillers or surgical cheek implants.
- Nonsurgical: Injectable dermal fillers will be performed at San Diego Cosmetic Clinic as an outpatient treatment. This session should only last about an hour or less. With fillers, the injection sites will be cleaned and marked along the mid-face. Next, the dermal filler will be gently injected into the cheeks and massaged to fill the needed areas. You can leave immediately after your treatment and return to your normal activities.
- Surgical: Cheek augmentation surgery is performed as an outpatient procedure at our AAAASF-accredited facility because patients are typically sedated using general anesthesia. When you are ready, thin incisions are created in your mouth through the upper gums and a pocket will be made above the cheekbones. Next, the selected implants will be placed and the incisions in the mouth will be sutured. The surgery typically lasts 1 – 2 hours.
What to Expect
Your post-op expectations will depend on the type of cheek augmentation you receive:
- Nonsurgical: With dermal fillers, your face can be tender and sore with mild inflammation for around 3 – 5 days. Ice packs and nonprescription pain medication may be used to ease any discomfort. Final results are usually visible in 1 – 2 weeks. Your outcomes will need to be maintained with touch-up sessions because the results you yield from a dermal filler will last up to two years.
- Surgical: After surgery, you should expect to have tightness, swelling, and bruising that lasts for 1 – 2 weeks. Strenuous activity that may cause your facial muscles to strain (such as weight lifting) needs to be skipped for 7 – 10 days. Your total time spent in recovery will usually take around two months; however, your results will last for years to come with no need for annual touch-ups.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does cheek augmentation cost?
Getting connected with the right plastic surgeon is invaluable. Depending on the method of augmentation you choose, the costs of your procedure will vary. Once your personalized treatment plan has been created, a member of our team will go over your estimated costs. We will also discuss payment options we accept, including medical financing.
What type of dermal fillers do you use for injections?
The brand of dermal filler you receive for your nonsurgical cheek augmentation will depend on your goals and budget. Typically, Dr. Laverson uses Voluma from the Juvéderm family of injectables or Sculptra. Both of these are potent, gel-like substances with a hyaluronic acid-based formula that will add definition to your cheeks and provide the youthful contour you desire.
What if I have an asymmetrical face?
The truth is that most people, even models and celebrities, have some degree of asymmetry to their face. Because a symmetrical face is more universally aesthetically pleasing, patients often seek out ways to balance their features. Cheek augmentation, both surgical and nonsurgical, can create a more harmonious appearance to your overall countenance.
Can I have a fat grafting performed to fill in my cheeks?
Yes. Dr. Laverson uses advanced fat grafting techniques for the restoration of volume in the soft tissues of the face and around the orbits. In fact, this can often be a preferred method. Using your own fat can create a more youthful shape to your face and may even feel more natural to the touch than a synthetic implant or a dermal filler.
Plan Your Procedure
- Recovery Time
- 1 – 7 days
- Average Procedure Time
- 1 – 2 hours
- Procedure Recovery Location
Get Full, Beautiful Cheeks
Were you born with flat or hollow cheeks? Has your mid-face lost its youthful contours with age or after significant weight loss? If either of these situations describes you, contact the San Diego Cosmetic Clinic to schedule your consultation with board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Steve Laverson. You'll be able to learn about the many options you have to build natural-looking volume in your cheeks. Whether you choose nonsurgical or surgical techniques, you can positively transform your overall appearance with cheek augmentation at the San Diego Cosmetic Clinic.